Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sat Chit Ananda Being Consciousness Rapture





Now, I came to this idea of bliss because in Sanskrit, which is the great spiritual language of the world, there are three terms that represent the brink, the jumping-off place to the ocean of transcendence: sat-chit-ananda. The word "Sat" means being. "Chit" means consciousness. "Ananda" means bliss or rapture. I thought, "I don't know whether my consciousness is proper consciousness or not; I don't know whether what I know of my being is my proper being or not; but I do know where my rapture is. So let me hang on to rapture, and that will bring me both my consciousness and my being." I think it worked.


-- Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth, pp. 113, 120

Sat, Chit and Ananda are Sanskrit words that mean truth, consciousness, bliss. They are three ways to understand the absolute, Braham in Hindu Mythology. The great seers of the Hindu religion understood that these are limited words. They do not describe the real, they only point and guide you toward these experiences. Hindu Gods are all representations and limited idea of the absolute. When or if you decide to devote your life to the spiritual realm then these might be ways to experience the absolute.

Sat is understood as being pure or the truth of the individual existence. It is the part of you that comes from the source or absolute. It is not corrupted by the illusion of everyday existence. It is always present whether the individual knows it or not. It is beyond all names, forms or limitations of the physical and mental. It should not be a struggle or striving to become SAT- you already have it, but just need to let it come forth.

Chit is pure consciousness or transcendent consciousness. When the individual experiences this they are aware. To be aware of yourself is the first step. The second step is to be aware of each of characteristics. The more aware of your surroundings and inner realm the higher your consciousness becomes, i.e. you experience less drama and see things as they truly are.

Ananda is a state of bliss or joy. When you see or become more aware then you will enjoy more of everything. Bliss is experiencing a rapture in your work, being with another person, and in your art or creativity. It is not a superficial illusionary phase, but an inner understanding of what gives you joy. If you stop your attachment and mind what will happen is natural flow of joy that fills you up. It is your natural state because the absolute, Braham is Bliss.






No comments:

Post a Comment